Thursday, October 2, 2008

More Adventures WHOOOPEEEE!

So I kind of don't know where to begin because i'm the worst blog entry person ever! I will try to write more often but here it goes...
Kazakhstan has been treating me great! I don't know where to begin with this so i'll just go...side note...I have an adorable kitten in my lap and its so cute...I have been doing the same thing now for over a month Language class for four hours in the morning and more technical crap in the afternoon. I am enjoying my time with all of the people surrounding me especially since I can vent to them in english if I'm not doing the best and my relationship with my host g-ma is becoming even greater but i'm getting bored and wore out. I don't know why exactly because my summer was way more intense than this. Maybe its a different kind of intense I can't figure it out. It could also be because I miss my friends from college and family etc. but I hope they know I love them (you) and the support I am receiving is wonderful, THANK YOU!
I got to go to Lake Issyk in the Mountains a couple weeks ago and it was amazing. It was the prettiest blue water i have seen in my life. It was perfect temperature outside and I got to relax with the peeps. I saw this girl that was like 15 years old getting carried b/c it looked like she had passed out but come to find out I heard one word in Russian that I knew and it was Пива or Piva which is beer so basically she was so drunk there were 4 people carrying her. It was kind of scary and crazy. The kids here, at least the little ones do not get disciplined very much it seems. I have a little grandson that is 3 come over a lot and he is super fun but its kind of weird when he can speak and teach russian to me lol! But he doesn't listen to me when I tell him to do stuff but whatevs.
Sunday's are our only day off and we played soccer with a bunch of local kids, it was wonderful and I think my team won! It was great! The kids are all pretty good but I scored once I was pretty impressed with myself. One of the trainees and a good friend, Joe, scored on his own team...it was hilarious.
I went to the museum in Almaty and the train station to figure it out and learn about the history of K-stan! It was really interesting and the culture here is very diverse...it is somewhat like the states. At my practicum i have been playing volleyball and other games with teenagers. It has been great but it ended today and it feels nice b/c it wasn't really what I was expecting to do at a practicum.
One of the highlights that I have had being here happened yesterday when i was teaching english to 16 and 17 years old at the school down the street b/c EVERYONE in Kazakhstan will teach English in some fashion during their 2 years. We introudced hobbies and went over fruits. It was great but they already knew most of the things we were trying to teach; therefore, I asked at the end of the lesson what they really wanted to learn and do. Almost all of them just wanted to talk and learn about America and they were so excited and loved the English Club we had started. It was nice to feel special and to be able to share America with them. I can't wait until the next time I go!
FINALL,
I FIND OUT TOMORROW WHERE I WILL BE FOR THE REST OF THE 2 YEARS I WILL BE HERE! I am so excited and will have to update more quickly to let everyone know!

1 comment:

Kari Smith said...

Thanks for the post, even if it is a month old. Where are you going to be for the next 2 years?!?!